Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Selling thrift

These folks are selling "high frugality dish towels." In case the link vanishes someday, the attached screenshot will enlarge if you click on it.

I'm basically in favor of the sentiments printed on these dish towels: drink tap water, compost, grow and cook your own food at home. I generally do these things already, and have for years.

But did you see the price? They want $45 for the set of four dish towels. Doesn't that strike you as something less than frugal? Even after we grow the cotton in an environmentally responsible manner and pay somebody, somewhere fair wages to spin and weave and sew it (presumably by machine), doesn't $12 strike you as a bit much for a dish towel?

Here is my idea of a frugal kitchen towel: all those already in my drawer. They came from wherever they came from, but I'm sure they're all at least three or four years old. I plan to keep on using them for quite some time to come. I may even mend small holes. I won't replace them to be trendy or to look good in my kitchen. They're still dish towels, and as far as I'm concerned, they look fine in my kitchen already. I will continue to wash and reuse them and avoid using paper towels, and if ever they reach the point where they're just too stained or full of holes to be worth continuing to use in the kitchen, I will relegate them to rag duty and go on using them for rags. When I get to that point, I may read the label to see where they came from, but I don't think I'll pay $12 a towel for cutesy designer ones.

1 Comments:

Blogger Minako TOHGIN said...

I think so too.

This is my blog.
http://kitchenplasticarts.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post_362.html

27 January, 2010 18:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home